Vision is quality of life
The importance of visual perception is often realized only when it is impaired. For patients who had to experience this, specialized doctors and nurses of the ophthalmological clinic offer outpatient or stationary treatment options with conservative or operative care for every eye disease or injury. Outpatient Care
In addition to general consultation-hours, outpatient care takes place during special consultation hours. During the consultation, we use modern technology to help find a specific diagnosis and afterwards, the respective treatment can be planned with the patient. For an outpatient consultation we request prior appointment arrangement. For the examination, we need a written referral from another outpatient ophthalmology specialist. Diagnostic and therapy emphasis
The clinic for ophthalmology has a very broad spectrum of operations to offer, which includes every diagnostic or therapeutic option known to this field.
- Plastic and cosmetic eyelid operations
- Squint surgeries
- Tear duct surgeries
- Cataract removal and artificial lens implantations (also as an outpatient procedure)
- Laser correction of defective vision (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism)
- Refractive lens surgeries
- Cornea transplantations
- Glaucoma operations
- Current methods for retinal detachment and tumors
- Operations on the inside of the eye (vitreal surgery) for the removal of vitreal bleeding or membranes
- All methods and laser intervention to remove cataract that returned after prior cataract removal, for the treatment of glaucoma, retinal transformations due to diabetes, perforations
- Therapies for patients with macular degeneration (including other injections of medication into the vitreal body)
- A trans-regional emphasis is on the treatment of severe burns and chemical eye burns
If stationary care at the hospital is necessary, the ophthalmology clinic has 40 beds on three wards. Qualified technical staff takes care of the patients. Modern technology and up-to-date procedures support our effort to minimize the duration of the stay. The university medical center is a fully equipped medical care facility. Due to close interdisciplinary team work with other medical departments of the hospital such as, neurosurgery, oral maxillofacial and plastic surgery, radiology or neurology, we can guarantee sophisticated care with short communication processes. Good team work is especially important in the treatment and care of polytrauma patients and tumors in the head region. This teamwork is also displayed by the fact that patients of the ophthalmological clinic with systemic diseases such as diabetes or cardiovascular diseases will also be treated by colleagues of the medical clinic. This network is complemented by the cooperation with the clinic for pediatric and youth medicine of the St. Josef-Hospital Bochum as well as the Berufsgenossenschaftliche Universitätsklinikum Bergmannsheil (UKRUB).
Science and Research
The ophthalmology clinic is a university medical center of the Ruhr University Bochum with a research emphasis on glaucoma, retinology, refractive surgery and cataract surgery as well as inflammatory diseases of the eye. In multiple lectures, seminars and practical classes students have the opportunity to deepen their knowledge and apply it under the supervision of an experienced colleague.